Monday, March 29, 2010

sources blog

When in search for sources for my English papers, or pretty much all other papers that require research or additional information, I start off with a broad Google of the topic I am writing about. When sifting through all the BS websites I try to find websites that not only provide me with the information I need but come from someone who knows what they are talking about, say maybe a PhD or something. If I cannot find one that is trustworthy in that massive pile of sources, I go to that website that we learned about in the library, Academic Search Complete (EBSCO). From there you get another list of different articles which you can fiddle around with different filters like subject and type of source, and stuff. Once I find a source that fits the criteria needed for my paper I then have to figure a way to tie it into my paper to agree with my thesis. Strengthening my thesis is the most important part so you cannot choose information out of the articles that does not support your thesis. One way to make sure that you are getting the right information is making sure that you have read through the whole article and know understand what it means. I usually have to read through a couple times because I am a bad reader so it takes more for me to understand what the author is trying to say. Once I figure out what I want to put into my paper from the article I just have to find some words to put on the outsides of the idea to make a smooth transition from my writing into the articles writing, and also of course I need to cite where I got the source from. That is the way I choose and cite my sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment